WEGO Health Activists’ View of Social Media Regulation Issues Highlights from a 2011 survey of online health community leadersClick Here for Additional Resources
A conversation with Jack Barrette (see bio), CEO and Founder of WEGO Health, providing feedback, context and prospective on an updated 2011 WEGO Health survey of “Health Activists” regarding the impact new FDA guidance will have on pharma participation in social media and their advice to the industry for best social media practices.
You may also visit this Pharma Marketing Talk Segment Page to listen to the audio podcast.
This show and ALL Pharma Marketing Talk shows are available as podcasts via PMT on iTunes (FREE!).Background
Despite the Food and Drug Administration’s (FDA) reluctance to release guidelines on health care companies’ use of social media, a recent survey measuring the sentiments of social media “power users” in the health space revealed that this online activist community supports pharmaceutical company engagement in social media and feels the industry has the strong potential to significantly benefit consumers.
The survey, administered by leading online health community WEGO Health, polled more than 200 “Health Activists” — social media organizers, leaders and contributors who each speak to an average online audience of more than 15,000 every month.Questions/Topics To Be Discussed
- Who are the “health activists” that responded to this survey?
- How important do health activists believe FDA social media guidance is for the pharma industry?
- What advice do health activisits have for pharma companies who are participating in, or considering participating in, social media?
- Do you see more pharma companies employing health activists as paid advisors?
WEGO Health was created by Jack Barrette, a former Yahoo! executive focused on lifestyles, health and medicine. At Yahoo!, and throughout his career in healthcare, Jack has seen millions of people struggle to find credible, useful health information online. WEGO Health was born as a result of these experiences. Jack lives in Boston with his beloved wife and terriers. He believes fervently in giving back to the community through his non-profit work, and also in the health benefits of good wine.
- Social Media Won’t Wait: Health Activisits Speak Out, Industry Speaks Up – WEGO Health Survey Results