Online e-Patient & Celebrity Patient Video Testimonials Anecdotal Experience Marketing
Pharma marketers are capitalizing on the e-Patient movement by leveraging social media, online video, and real patient stories in an effort to become more “patient centric” (see, for example, “Patient Story-telling Marketing“). Add a celebrity spokesperson who is also a patient or a caretaker of a patient and you’ve got gold!
But in some cases, this practice may be going too far. This article asks the question: Can anecdotal “evidence”/experiences mentioned in patient videos — even unbranded videos — cause unnecessary visits to the doctor’s office and over prescribing of drugs with serious side effects?
Topics include (partial list):
- Real Stories from Real Moms & Daughters
- Symptoms & Undocumented Anecdotal Evidence
- The Selling of ADHD and Ethics of Disease Awareness Advertising
- Persuasive Celebrity Patient Video Testimonials
- Overstating Efficacy
- Declaration of Health Data Rights
Download the full text PDF file here:
Issue: Vol. 13, No. 8: September 2014