Evidence-Based Pharma Marketing Using Science to Demonstrate Product Value
A conversation with Preeti Pinto (see bio), Principal at Preeti Pinto Consulting, LLC and former Executive Director & Head of Promotional Regulatory Affairs at AstraZeneca US, about the use of comparative effectiveness and health outcomes data in the support of drug promotion to physicians, payers, and consumers.
Aired LIVE on:
Wednesday, March 9, 2011
You may also visit this Pharma Marketing Talk Segment Page to listen to the audio podcast.
This show and ALL Pharma Marketing Talk shows are available as podcasts via PMT on iTunes (FREE!).Background
For marketing professionals, market access is the key to success. Doctors, payers and consumers are asking for value based on evidence. Being able to prove the value of a particular product may be the best method for increasing sales. Pharma marketing executives need the tools and knowledge necessary to use scientific and health outcomes data for proving product value and gaining market access.
See Additional Resources.
- Let’s define what we mean by evidence-based marketing in the context of the pharmaceutical industry.
- Why do you think that Evidence Based Marketing is the future of Drug Promotion?
- How are pharma companies communicating such information now and is the information adequate?
- What value does comparative effectiveness data add to new products vs. costs when these products are compared to other approved therapies or generics?
- What are customers demanding? Are their needs being met?
- What do you think prevents pharma companies from communicating such information? Is FDA regulations standing in the way?
Preeti Pinto, MS, MT-ASCP, is a regulatory and compliance expert with over 20 years experience in the pharmaceutical and healthcare industries, with a strong working relationship with FDA and the Division of Drug Marketing, Advertising, and Communications (DDMAC). Her experience extends to both drug development and marketing of Rx products.
After many years in senior corporate roles, she is now an independent consultant and advises businesses in overcoming both the organizational and regulatory challenges in ensuring compliance with marketing regulations.
Preeti’s achievements include establishing the first field-based Promotional Regulatory Affairs (PRA) department and Medical Education office at AstraZeneca, where she was the Executive Director and head of PRA from 1999 to 2010.
As a member of the industry Social Media Working Group, Preeti met with DDMAC to propose and discuss regulatory guidance for the use of social media in pharmaceutical promotional activities. Under her direction, AstraZeneca was an early adopter of social media in marketing activities.
- Conference: Forum on Utilizing Scientific Messaging for Evidence-Based Marketing and Promotion * Leverage HEOR and CER – Establish Product Value and Competitive Advantage – Improve Cross-Functional Communication * March 17 – 18, 2011 * Philadelphia, PA
- Blog post: Evidence-based Marketing
- Podcast: Will Healthcare be Rationed or Rational? A Case for Supporting Comparative Effectiveness Research